Participatory learning and action (PLA) tools are used to engage communities in a process of shared decision-making around their strengths and assets. Action steps are often identified by the group to make social, economic, or environmental changes in their community. Select and practice one of the following participatory learning and action tools:
- Community asset map
- Holistic worldview analysis
- Appreciative inquiry interview
- Problem tree analysis (also called diagramming)
Guides on how to facilitate the tools are described in the community engagement and PLA resources in the topic Resources. Identify an individual or group of individuals with whom you are currently working as part of your job, service, volunteerism, or family. Review the selected tool and become familiar with the process and purpose of the tool prior to facilitating it with your selected individual or group.
In a 1,000-1,250-word essay, discuss the following:
- What tool did you select and why did you select it instead of the other options?
- What cultural insight did you learn based on the individual or group you selected? Include a brief description of the individual or group you engaged for this
- What challenges did you identify in facilitating the tool?
- Discuss how the participants responded to the tool regarding their participation and shared decision-making. Consider how PLA tools are focused on building the
capacity of people versus projects or programs.
- A Health in All Policies approach, which include economic and environmental factors, is important in addressing the interconnectedness of health factors to support holistic transformation. Discuss how this community engagement approach through such a tool is useful for assessing a Health in All Policies approach. In addition, consider how this approach is effective in reducing health disparities by addressing economic and environmental issues through community mobilization and assets. Review the website and introductory report on “Health in All Policies,” by the American Public Health Association (APHA), and “What You Need to Know About Health in All Policies,” by the World Health Organization (WHO), located in the topic Resources for additional insight.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
MA Public Health
1.2 Evaluate the process of shared decision-making in public health policy and assess a policy’s impact on economic and environmental sustainability and reduction of health disparities through application of the Health in All Policies approach.