Honoring diversity and Transitions Program Instructions
In this presentation, you must give the staff suggestions for how to work with diverse students and families and how to be sensitive to cultural differences. For example, you may suggest that a teacher changes assignment due dates around religious holidays. In addition, you will demonstrate the ability to design, implement, manage, and evaluate a school-to-work, postsecondary planning, or college admissions transition program that aids in promoting cultural diversity while enhancing the transition process. An example might include cultural considerations on the university campus for first-generation college students, how to get plugged into diverse student group organizations at the college level, or promoting cross-cultural experiences/skills when writing a résumé for minority students entering school-to-work transitions. Be creative! How can celebrating and honoring diversity be combined with transition programs?
For this assignment, you will create a presentation in PowerPoint with speaker notes (on each slide). This presentation will address the needs of diverse youth, including spiritual, religious, and transition needs, by discussing each of the questions listed below.
Please address each of the following areas in your presentation:
- What is diversity?
- What might diversity look like in the classroom?
- What spiritual and religious issues impact diversity?
- How might the staff improve their cultural sensitivity?
- How do religious holidays impact class assignments?
- How might your staff use data to better meet the needs of a diverse classroom?
- What social and emotional factors must your staff keep in mind when working with diverse students?
- Give 3 practical tips classroom teachers can use to promote an inclusive environment and encourage diversity in the classroom.
- Then, create a transition program for a culturally diverse group that will help ease into a specific postsecondary activity, and let your staff know how to refer students to the program. Use the following points when developing your program:
- Discuss specific ASCA standards and student competencies that support the use of transition programs in school counseling programs.
- How will the transitioning program be implemented (including referral process of students) and who will facilitate the program?
- How can you use peer intervention/facilitation (examples: peer mentoring, peer tutoring, cultural ally, etc) in the transition program and in your school counseling program?
- Will the transitioning program involve a classroom guidance unit, small groups, school-wide presentation, or a combination of approaches and activities?
- Will the transitioning program have a parent communication piece?
- How will the transitioning program be evaluated for effectiveness?
Your presentation must include the following components:
- The Vernon & Schimmel textbook, the Kimbel & Schellenberg article on “meeting holistic needs,” and a minimum of 3 additional peer-reviewed sources (5 total including the textbook and the article) must be used in order to develop the presentation;
- Information must clearly align with the ASCA National Model and must address specific ASCA standards and student competencies;
- Detailed speaker notes must be included on each slide of the presentation in the notes section (seek assistance from Liberty University’s technology department or use an online tutorial if you do not know how to add speaker notes to PowerPoint slides);
- Citations and a references slide in current APA format must be included; and
- Informative and visually appealing content must be included.
Submit this assignment by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 2.