Individual counseling is a direct service which is delivered to students by school counselors in the schools. School Counselors have unique considerations in relation to their scope of practice when counseling students in the school. These considerations must align with the American School Counselor Association’s Ethical Standards, state guidelines, and district policies.
Complete the Case Conceptualization & School Counseling Services Plan Assignment for one client/student you are counseling at your practicum site.
Please note: The student/client’s actual name will not be used in this assignment for confidentiality purposes. A pseudonym only is to be used to protect the identity of the student/client.
Practicum students will type directly into the Case Conceptualization & School Counseling Services Plan Assignment document.
Practicum students will take turns discussing their plans during synchronized group supervision to practice consultation under faculty supervision.
Case Conceptualization & School Counseling Services Plan
Practicum Student Name _________________________________________________
Practicum Site: ____ Elementary School _____ Middle School _____ High School _____Clinical
Student/Client Pseudonym ______________________ Session ____ of _____
The student/client’s actual name will not be used in this assignment for confidentiality purposes. A pseudonym only is to be used to protect the identity of the student/client.
|Case Conceptualization & School Counseling Services Plan
Individual counseling is a direct, responsive service that involves one-to-one counseling with a student.
(Be sure to address the questions/comments for each component)
|Component #1: Case Conceptualization and Appraisal
· Explain procedures for addressing confidentiality and the limits to confidentiality.
· Was the parent/guardian contacted to obtain parental permission for school counseling services? Why or why not?
· Based on the student/client’s observable behaviors, what concerns might you have as a school counselor?
· How will you go about obtaining additional information (a more holistic view) to address your concerns?
· What counseling services will you provide to the student/client that are within the scope of school counseling practices?
· Are there services you might you consider outside the scope of school counseling (referral) that you believe would be beneficial to the student/client?
· Based on the student/client’s observable behaviors, what counseling goals might you identify?
· How will you involve the student/client in establishing additional counseling goals?
|Component #2: Developmental, Ethical, and Multicultural Considerations
· What factors appear to be influencing the student/client’s (academic, career, social, emotional) development?
· Identify at least one piece of research from a peer-reviewed journal to support the factors you identified with regard to impacting the student/client’s (academic, career, social, emotional) development.
|Component #3: Counseling Theory & Techniques
· What theoretical orientation(s)/technique(s) will you use to counsel this student/client? Support your choice with regard to culture, developmental age/level, and presenting issues with a peer-reviewed journal.
· What specific interventions will you use to assist this student in mediating issues, building resilience, identifying strengths, and developing a plan for wellness? Support your choice with a peer-reviewed journal.
· Would group sessions also be appropriate for this student/client? Why or why not?
· Identify possible family/home/community/school supports that would be useful to help this student/client.
|Component #4: Individual Appraisal and Outcomes Assessment
· How will you formally or informally assess student functioning (identify a specific approach/instrument)?
· Identify how your approach/instrument is culturally sensitive and takes into account background, ability, and language.
· How will you assess student/client’s strengths and seek to build resilience?
· How will you measure student/client progress toward counseling goals?
|Component #5: Professional/Scholarly Writing
Correct grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, spelling, and APA citations. Student includes a references section with proper APA formatting.