Elementary School Individual Counseling Case Conceptualization and Treatment Plan
Elementary School Individual Counseling Case Conceptualization and Treatment Plan Instructions
Individual counseling is a responsive service that involves one-to-one counseling with a student. Please use the case noted below to conceptualize the case and answer the questions on the outline. Please use the outline as your template for the assignment. That is, save a copy of the outline as “Elementary School Treatment Plan”. Then, simply type your responses within the outline template row and under each bulleted item. References will be included at the end of the document on a separate page in APA style. There is no required page length; just be sure to cover the outlined components completely and succinctly.
Only include information outlined within the document. Be sure to fully address each question as outlined in the document. Please see the rubric for grading details.
Please submit the assignment by the deadline noted on the Course Schedule.
CASE: Geoffrey, a 10-year-old male student, expressed to you, his elementary school counselor, that he is angry because of his parents’ recent divorce. Geoffrey came to you nearly in tears with disheveled hair and wearing dirty clothes. During the session, Geoffrey sat slumped over with his hands clinched and began to cry, saying that his mother must now work so he never sees her, and his dad doesn’t care enough to even visit on the days he has visitation. He expresses how upsetting it is to hear them fight all the time when his father does come around or call. He heard his mother tell his father that he will go to jail and lose his job if he keeps doing drugs and drinking. Geoffrey said that sometimes he just feels numb and other times he is so angry he could explode. He went on to say that he feels all alone and ignored. He expresses that he doesn’t understand how his parents can just stop loving each other and him. He mumbles, “I just wish I could disappear and maybe then then they would be sorry and I wouldn’t’ have to hear them fight anymore.”
Outline for Individual School Counseling Treatment Plan
|Individual School Counseling Treatment Plan Components
(Be sure to address the questions/comments for each component)
|Component #1: Case Conceptualization and Appraisal
· Identify Geoffrey’s culture/ethnicity (Caucasian, Asian, African-American, Native American, Latin American, etc.). Select a culture different from your own. The rest of your responses in this rubric should consider Geoffrey’s culture.
· This is a first session with Geoffrey, who used a self-referral to see you. What will you say to Geoffrey with regard to confidentiality?
· Will you need or want to contact the parent or obtain parental permission for counseling services prior to meeting with Geoffrey? Why or why not?
· Will you need or want to contact the parent or obtain parental permission for counseling services after meeting with Geoffrey? Why or why not?
· How does scope of practice impact the school counseling services you will provide to Geoffrey? In other words, what counseling services might you provide to Geoffrey that are within the scope of school counseling practices and what services might you consider outside the scope of school counseling that you believe would be beneficial to Geoffrey?
· Based on the student’s observable behaviors, what counseling goals (name at least three) might you identify? Based on the student’s observable behaviors, what concerns might you have as a counselor? How would you go about obtaining information that would address your concerns in Geoffrey’s case?
· What is your priority goal for ensuring Geoffrey’s is safe?
· How will you involve the student is establishing additional counseling goals?
· How will you formally or informally assess student functioning (identify at least two specific approaches/instruments)? Identify how your approaches/instruments are culturally sensitive and take into account background, ability, and language.
· How might you assess student strengths and seek to build resilience?
|Component #2: Developmental, Ethical, and Multicultural Considerations
· What factors appear (identify at least two factors) to be influencing Geoffrey’s development (e.g., divorce, substance abuse, child neglect, homelessness, ADHD)?
Identify at least one piece of research from a peer-reviewed journal to support the factors you identify with regard to impacting child and adolescent physical, personal, social, and/or emotional development? If you do not know what a peer reviewed journal article is, please contact the library, writing center, or use the Internet as a resource (cite your source). If you do not know how to conduct research (e.g., identify databases for journal article, use the stacks in the Library), please contact Liberty’s librarians or writing center for assistance.
· What family, school, community, and other institutional/environmental barriers may be interfering with the personal-social, academic, and career development of this student?
· Identify the multicultural considerations in this case based on Geoffrey’s culture. Support you response with a journal article or course text book.
· Specifically cite the ASCA and AACC ethical standards that apply in this case. Include, but do not limit yourself to scope of practice, referral, and supervision.
· How might you approach issues of worldview and faith in your counseling sessions with this student in a secular counseling school setting? Cite one journal article that supports your approach.
· How might you approach issues of worldview and faith in your counseling sessions with this student in a religious school setting? Cite one journal article that supports your approach.
|Component #3: Counseling Theory & Techniques
· What theoretical orientation(s) (name at least two) will you use to counsel this student? Support your choice with regard to culture, developmental level, and presenting issues with a journal article or course text book.
· What specific interventions (identify at least two) will you use to assist this student in mediating issues, building resilience, identifying strengths, and developing a plan for wellness? Support your choice with a journal article or course text book.
· How will the barriers identified earlier be addressed?
· Would group sessions also be appropriate for this student—why or why not?
· Identify possible family/home supports that would be useful to help this student?
· Identify two play therapy techniques that might be beneficial for this student, why you selected the techniques, and the outcome you intend to gain from the techniques.
· What role does your understanding of multiple intelligences play in intervention consideration?
· Identify two peer programming intervention that may be useful in working with this student.
|Component #4: Individual Appraisal and Outcomes Assessment
· How will you measure student progress toward counseling goals?
· What methods (formal and/or informal) will be used to assess the effectiveness of your counseling sessions with this student?
|Uses correct grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, spelling, current APA Style for citations and references (separate page at the end of the rubric). Student uses at least three peer reviewed journal articles to support counseling assessment, theories, and techniques used with Geoffrey. Please see the assistance of Liberty’s writing center as needed.