Critique the below evidence synthesis exemplar to address the following.
Patient falls with injury and fall prevention remain complex phenomena in the acute care setting as well as a major challenge for healthcare professionals (Gygax Spicer, 2017). Patient falls are considered one of the leading adverse events occurring in acute care settings such as hospitals and nursing homes, with the detrimental impact to the patient ranging from mild to severe bruising, fractures, trauma, and even death (de Medeiros Araújo et al., 2017). Falls are common phenomena in older adults, with roughly one out of three people age 65 years and older who suffers from at least one fall per year due to multiple factors including environmental, social, and physiological factors either alone or in conjunction (Gygax Spicer, 2017). The etiology is that patients are attempting to get out of bed without assistance from nursing staff. Several of the causative factors include illness, impulsiveness, urgency, medications, or being in an unfamiliar environment. Lastly, there has been an increase in the amount of turnover in staffing, thus reducing the amount of available nursing staff in the practice setting.
Does the author clearly identify the scope of the evidence synthesis? Explain your rationale.
- Are strong paraphrased sentences included that are supported by contemporary sources of research evidence? Explain your rationale.
- Are the facts related to the practice problem presented in an objective manner? Explain your rationale.
- Does the author use sources to support ideas and claims, and not the other way around? Explain your rationale.
- Based on your appraisal, is this exemplar a true synthesis of the evidence? Or is it a summary of the evidence? Explain your rationale.
Use an APA 7 style and a minimum of 250 words. Provide support from a minimum of at least three (3) scholarly sources. The scholarly source needs to be: 1) evidence-based, 2) scholarly in nature, 3) Sources should be no more than five years old (published within the last 5 years), and 4) an in-text citation. citations and references are included when information is summarized/synthesized and/or direct quotes are used, in which APA style standards apply.
• Textbooks are not considered scholarly sources.
• Wikipedia, Wikis, .com website or blogs should not be used.