Discussion Board Forum (Module 6)
Topic: Cultural Intelligence in the Marketplace
Instructions: For this discussion board, each student will need to select a scholarly journal article about CQ in various disciplines. (Look in the folder provided in Module/Week 6 of Blackboard).
Note: A variety of articles have been provided on Blackboard to relate to a large selection of degree fields and professional interests; however, if a student does not find an article which matches their interests, they can do their own research to find a different article. The article chosen must be about the application of Cultural Intelligence to a specific professional field. The student should send the article to your professor and get prior approval before using an article if it is different than the ones provided.
Initial Thread After you have read your chosen article, answer the following questions in your initial thread:
- Briefly summarize the article. (What were the researchers studying? what was the primary thesis of the article? How did they conduct their research? What were the results?)
- Using this article as well as other course materials, discuss the implications of Cultural Intelligence in your chosen professional field. (What cross-cultural challenges exist in your profession? How will having high CQ help to address those challenges? What other research needs to be done in order to develop high CQ in your field?)
- Imagine you were creating a professional development seminar on cultural intelligence for professionals in your chosen field. Aside from simply defining CQ, what topics would you focus on? How would you help your attendees practically apply CQ to your field (Be creative and use examples)?
Replies: The following questions are suggestions that can help to guide your discussions as you reply to 2 students:
- Have you seen or experienced the challenges they mentioned?
- What other topics would you add to their professional development plan?
- What other examples can you give which may practically apply CQ to their field? Or are there any related examples from your field of study which may help them with the practical application?
Submit your thread by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Thursday of Module/Week 6. Submit your replies by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of Module/Week 6.