CQ Journal 1: The Power of Story
Please use the following prompt as a guide to write your journal entry. Your journal entry should be at least 400 words and should include an answer to each of the major sections/headings of this prompt (in bold). The bullet points under each heading are suggestions for topics to consider.
In week 1, Dr. Harper discusses the power of story. Our framework for intercultural communication includes God’s story, our personal story, and the global story.
Share a bit of your personal story:
- Where is your family from? Where did you grow up? Where do you live now?
- Describe your home culture: (Geography, Religion, Ethnicity, Language, Family, Food, History, Etc.)
- Feel free to describe any significant experiences that have shaped you or given you perspective.
How have you seen your story intersect with God’s story?
- Share a bit of your faith journey (beliefs, understanding of God, salvation experience, significant spiritual markers, etc).
- What would you want someone from another culture to know about your faith?
- Why is it important to understand the whole story of God (the Grand Narrative)?
How have you interacted with or engaged in the global story?
- What kinds of cross-cultural experiences have you had?
- How would you describe your level of comfort, knowledge, or understanding when interacting with people from different cultural backgrounds than your own?
- What are some challenges you have experienced when interacting across cultural boundaries?
Why is it important to have an understanding of God’s story, your own story, and the global story in order to effectively cross cultures with the gospel?