- Discuss the historical and future trends that have impacted the need for health education.
- What are at least three major historical events that shaped health education?
- What is the focus of today’s health education? How does it differ from previous foci of health education?
- Examine the roles, responsibilities, and professional resources of health education specialists.
- What are the seven areas of responsibility of the profession?
- How would you describe the overall role of a health education specialist?
- Who receives health education? Who do health educators work with?
- What are two professional resources for health educators? How can they utilize these resources?
- What is a certified health education specialist(C.H.E.S.)? How is certification obtained?
- Describe three professional settings where you might find a health education specialist at work.
- What do these settings have in common? How are they different?
- Are there any additional skill sets that a health education specialist might need to work in one of these settings versus another?
Part II: HIV Prevention Program
- Evaluate theHIV Prevention Program implemented by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare by answering the following questions:
- What is the main purpose of this program? How was it designed to facilitate this purpose?
- Who is the target audience for this website? Who are the collaborators and stakeholders involved in this program?
- What are the main components of the information provided on this website?
- Evaluate the information provided on the “HIV, Other STD, and Teen Pregnancy Prevention and Idaho Students” PDF.
- Is the information given reliable? How can you tell?
- Is it presented in a way that the target audience will understand?
By the end of this course, you should have a greater understanding of the health education profession. For the Final Project, you will submit a paper that includes the following three parts: an examination of the health education field and profession, an analysis of an HIV prevention program, and the creation of a health education website focusing on heart disease. The first two parts will make up the majority of the paper that you will submit, but you will also need to supply a description of the website you create, the information it contains, and the website’s URL in your paper. It is advised that you create the description of your website before you actually build it to ensure that it contains all the required components.
Part I: Introduction to Health Education and the Health Education Profession