For this assignment, you are given a real-world scenario as follows:
The Medical Director has assigned the Director of Nursing (DON) for the local health department to develop a plan to handle an emergency plan with the local long-term care facility (LTCF). She will serve on a team with the health department emergency preparedness coordinator and the epidemiologist. Neither the DON nor the medical director has been in their current positions for more than six months.
- The DON has resided in the area for several years, had worked at the local hospital for three years before obtaining her current position.
- The medical director came from another health department in another state. He had been involved in a hurricane that impacted the local nursing home where two patients died due to a foodborne outbreak.
- The emergency preparedness coordinator is experienced and works with the state-level emergency preparedness team.
- The epidemiologist has lived in the area for 20 years and has been the epidemiologist for over 15 years at this health department.
- The nurse is assigned to develop a nursing protocol regarding patient care to be included in the disaster plan coordinating agreement between the LTCF and the health department.
The health department team will work with representatives from the LTCF nursing department.
Use the following template to develop this policy/protocol:
- Designated authority.
- Describe the problem. List the proposed nursing diagnosis.
- Background: Introduce the business case for why developing this protocol is necessary. Provide the data and information to support the protocol.
- Identify other persons needed to serve on this team from both the LTCF and the health department.
- Generate a list of what information about the nursing care facility is needed to develop this plan and delineate assignments to the appropriate persons.
- Objectives: Delineate one to three objectives for this plan. Make sure the objectives are in behavioral terms, are measurable, and realistic. Include timeframes.
- Proposed Interventions: Develop a comprehensive list of action steps for both the LTCF and the health department to be included in this plan.
- Expected Benefits: Describe the expected benefits and outcomes of the interventions taken.
- Audit and evaluation: Describe how the outcomes will be evaluated. Propose what and how pertinent audit findings will be used to evaluate the success of the plan. Describe how ongoing monitoring and review of the strategies will be done.
- Keep statements succinct, clear, and without opinions.
Length: No more than 3 pages. Answers must use the template for development.
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA style. These do not count towards the 3 page limit.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Include at least three (3) scholarly sources to support your claims.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).