This week you will begin your “Psychological Disorders and the Movies” paper; your paper is due at the end of Week 8. This week you will select your movie, locate three supporting references relevant to the disorder featured in the movie, create the title page for your paper and create your reference list. You must format the title and reference page according to APA Style guidelines.
Psychological Disorders and the Movies Paper:
For this assignment, you will watch one of the movies listed below and discuss the main characters and/or plot line in terms of psychological disorders and/or treatment (Some of the movies portray several characters struggling with a disorder; you need to focus only on the one that most interests you).
In your analysis paper, you must analyze the movie and create a cohesive response that addresses the following questions (do not answer the questions in numerical order, create a paper that addresses all the questions):
- What psychological disorder was illustrated in this film? Did the person meet the criteria for “abnormal” in this portrayal?
- What are the typical symptoms and behaviors of an individual with this disorder?
- What symptoms of mental illness did you see in the movie? After considering typical symptoms and behaviors for this disorder, determine the extent to which you believe this was a realistic portrayal of this disorder.
- Were any causal factors for the character’s disorder suggested in the film? If so, which ones?
- What types of treatment, if any, did the person in the film receive? Provide specific examples. Based on what you’ve learned, is this form typical for individuals with this disorder? Why or why not?
- What impact did the person’s disorder have on others in his/her life? Do you think the impact was realistically portrayed? Why or why not?
- After viewing the movie, what do you think it would be like to live with this mental illness?
- What was your overall reaction to the movie and how mental illness was portrayed?
Movie Options (or you can select a different movie with prior approval):
- A Beautiful Mind (Psychosis)
- As Good As It Gets (Anxiety Disorder)
- Benny and Joon (Psychosis)
- Clean and Sober (Subst Related Disorder)
- The Deer Hunter (Stress Disorder)
- The Fisher King (Variety of Disorders)
- Gia (Substance Related / Mood Disorder)
- Girl Interrupted (Variety of Disorders)
- Off the Map (Mood Disorder)
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Variety of Disorders)
- Ordinary People (Mood Disorder)
- Rachel at the Wedding (Substance Related Disorders)
- Sybil (Stress Disorder)
- Three Faces of Eve (Stress Disorder)
- Transamerica (Gender Identity Disorder)
- Twenty-eight Days w/ Sandra Bullock (Substance Related Disorders)
- What about Bob? (Anxiety Disorder)
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
This week your task is to select your movie (and be sure that you have access to watch the movie that you select), locate three supporting references relevant to the disorder featured in the movie, create the title page for your paper and create your reference list.
In order to know what mental illness is represented in the movie, you will want to do a bit of background research on the plot and focus of the movie. Once you identify the mental disorder that you will focus on, you need to locate a minimum of three supporting references (journal articles, books and/or reputable websites) that provide more detailed information about the mental disorder.
Create the title page and reference list for your paper. The title should indicate the name of the movie that you have selected for your analysis. You need to format the title and reference page according to APA Style guidelines; for assistance with APA Style, see:
- Purdue OWL (https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/; https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/05/)
- 2 pages; you only need to submit the title and reference pages
- Formatted in APA style
- Minimum of 3 references related to the targeted psychological disorder
- Note-the movies are short videos , they are on youtube