This is the practical assignment where you will practice skills related to employment law that will translate into real-life skills that will be utilized in your career as a human resources specialist.
For Module 5, your assignment is as follows:
As the HR specialist for a large technology company, your next task is to complete a memorandum analyzing the following scenario:
Sofoklis Eliopoulos is employed in the shipping and receiving department of your company. His religion requires him to pray at noon each day. A major shipment of tech supplies arrives one day, and Sofoklis is told to work through his break at lunch. He refuses to do so and goes on break to pray. His supervisor informs Sofoklis that he must work through his lunch break and pray at a different time when major shipments arrive that have to be unloaded immediately. Sofoklis resigns and files a claim with the EEOC.
Write a memorandum addressing the following:
1) What the employer’s duty is in this situation?
2) Whether the employee’s situation falls under the definition of religious practice (i.e., whether it requires the employer to reasonably accommodate said religious belief).
3) If the religious belief requires an accommodation, does the accommodation create an undue burden on the employer?
4) If the accommodation does not create an undue burden, what accommodation should be implemented?
5) What additional steps should be taken to help the company avoid or reduce legal liability concerning religious discrimination?
Be sure to review the scoring rubric prior to submitting your assignment. Please submit Practical Assignment 5 as one Word document to this assignment folder no later than Sunday 11:59 PM EST/EDT. (This folder may be linked to Turnitin.)