- Which of the following is the primary reason family members fail to express their love to one another?
|Traditional cultural expectations|
- When a man in a committed relationship ejaculates, his oxytocin spikes _______ %.
- According the the textbook, differentiated faith in the context of family life is _________.
|Based on a moral system|
|Derived from generational beliefs|
- The foundation for authentic sexuality in marriage is ________ (1 Corinthians 7:4-5).
|None of the above|
- Children are now viewed as being __________.
|qualitatively different from adults|
|quantitatively different from adults|
|both qualitatively and quantitatively different from adults|
|the same developmentally as adults|
- According to the research, which of the following is the most accurate concerning how parents show affection towards their sons and daughters?
|Mothers and fathers show affection in the same manner to both sons and daughters|
|Mothers are more impartial, while fathers tend to show affection according to sexual stereotypes|
|Fathers are more impartial, while mothers tend to show affection according to sexual stereotypes|
|Research has not identified parenting patterns|
- This style of parenting should be reserved for children of the highest maturity:
- B. F. Skinner…
|Has shaped the field of behaviorism by his creative research and writing|
|Developed what is known as operant conditioning|
|Replaced biological drives with psychological and relational drives|
|Both A and B|
- Multigenerational households are most common during which of the following stages?
|Multigenerational households are not common in today’s age|
- Based on the work done by Anne Borrowdale (1996), which level of conflict or offense occurs when children’s basic needs are unacknowledged, overridden, or disregarded?
- Which of the following theorists follow a cognitive model of child development?
|All of the above|
- Which of the following is not one of the biblical doctrines to which the textbook bases its critique of child-development theories?
|Humans are in a state of constant internal tension.|
|Humans are continuously striving for self-sufficiency.|
|Humans are active agents who have the capacity to make choices.|
|Humans are created for community.|
- Achieving authentic sexuality depends more on…
|understanding ourselves in the context of our marital partner|
|understanding our falling into sin|
|understanding who God created us to be as sexual persons|
|what we learn through the media as oppose to what is biblical truth|
- According to Marjorie Thompson (1996), families intentionally communicate the values and vision of faith in two basic ways:
|Through natural opportunities and through intentional practices|
|Through nurturing relationships and through intentional practices|
|Through natural opportunities and through direct teaching|
|Through nurturing relationships and through direct teaching|
- Neopsychoanalytic theory posits that …
|gender differences are a result of girls’ experiencing a warm, close relationship with their mother and boys’ experiencing a cool, distant relationship with their father|
|gender differences are a result of boys’ experiencing a warm, close relationship with their mother and girls’ experiencing a cool, distant relationship with their father|
|gender differences do not actually exist, but are an imagined reality|
|gender differences stem from the time children are born, in where they are taught both explicitly and implicitly how to be a man or how to be a woman|
- According to the textbook, which of the following are reason(s) why gender roles are changing?
|Because the traditional characteristics of masculinity and femininity are in reality a result of cultural conditioning|
|Because of the explosion of technological culture|
|Because of the lack of biblical morals in today’s world|
|Both A and B|
- To which of the 14 rules for a fair fight does this statement fall: Asking your partner to vindicate him or herself is counterproductive in fair fighting?
|Stick to the issue|
|Do not bring up the past|
|Avoid asking for explanations of behavior|
|Avoid labeling and name calling|
- According to the text, adolescent strain and rebellion is often escalated by __________.
|Having younger siblings|
|The availability of drugs|
- Galatians 5:22-23 (speaking of the fruit of the Spirit) is an example of how the Bible has more to say about…
|Distinctions between female and male temperament than it does about Christian temperament in general|
|Christian temperament in general than it does about distinctions between female and male temperament.|
|Love than it does of joy|
|Joy than it does of love|
- One approach to discipline, permissive parenting, stresses that a child’s greatest need is for ______________ and _____________.
- The launching stage…
|is when adult children leave home to establish an independent life outside the family|
|is when parents send off their children to school for the first time|
|is the same as the retirement stage|
|occurs during adolescents as the individual becomes more independent|
- A study by Lauer, Lauer, and Kerr (1995) reports which of the following as being essential to success in marriage?
|An intimate relationship with a mate whose company one thoroughly enjoys|
|Commitment and humor|
|The ability to agree on a wide variety of issues|
|All of the above|
- According to the research by King and Furrow (2004),
|young people having a strong sense of shared beliefs, values, and goals with their parents is related to their being altruistic and empathetic toward others|
|youth are less apt to engage in delinquent behavior and achieve greater academic success when parents monitor their behavior|
|positive effects were found for sure parental monitoring as setting clear boundaries, establishing clear expectations, and being aware of when their teens left and returned home|
|all of the above|
- Family conflict that is collective means …
|The conflict occurs between two family members|
|The conflict occurs between two sets of family members|
|The conflict occurs between the husband and wife|
|The conflict occurs between two separate families|
- According to the course text,
|There is one clear list of guidelines to raising children properly.|
|Good parenting is a matter of interacting day in and day out with our children.|
|The idea of being taught how to raise children is not much different to being taught other things in life.|
|The raising of children is an independent act from God.|
- Which of the following is not a form of a non-verbal expression of love?
|A pat on the back|
|Saying “I love you”|
- Which is not included as a stage of child development postulated by Freud?
- According to Myron Chartier, God shows His parental love in how many ways?
- Research shows that there are two different types of leaders; Socioemotional and _______.
- When considering the use of discipline in parenting,
|It is not the practice but how it is administered that is important.|
|Most all would agree that spanking is effective.|
|Discipline and punishment are considered completely separate in our culture.|
|Cultural influences do not matter.|
- Identify 5 rules for a fair fight as listed in chapter 14. Provide a one sentence description of each.
- Describe Bandura’s (Social Learning Theory) theory of child development. (Pg. 134–135.)
- Discuss in at least 2 paragraphs Nature/Nurture as it pertains to gender differences (the formation of masculinity & femininity) including how the Bible can be applied.
- Define instrumental parenting, and briefly discuss two of the four styles of instrumental parenting.
- Chapter ten discusses three stages of family life. Choose one of the three stages and discuss the major tasks and concerns of that stage.
- Thoroughly explain Sexual Initiation and Refusal as described by Dr. Thomas in our video Define and describe each as they apply to the marital relationship including healthy ways to create connection.