Complete this document either in Word. All of this information is found in the PowerPoint presentations
(use a different color for responses, for example). You may use word for word or reword the powerpoint in the answer.
Chapter 4—Ethical Issues
- Compare and contract legal and ethical issues.
- What determines how a person approaches and solves ethical dilemmas
- Define moral indifference—provide an example
- Define moral uncertainty—provide an example from your own healthcare experience
- Moral distress—provide an example from your own health care experiences
- What is an ethical dilemma? Give an example
- Describe deontological approach to ethical decision making? What does this mean?
- Describe a teleological approach to ethical decision making? What does this mean?
- Compare and contrast the 4 different frameworks for ethical decision making
- What is autonomy—give an example from your experience
- Define the following terms—how have you used/understood these principles in your nursing practice?
- What is the MORAL decision-making model—how does this work?
- Name important strategies to promote ethical behavior in healthcare.
Chapter 5—Legal and Legislative Issues
- Define civil law and what is involved in civil cases
- What are the reasons that nurses are at increased risk for legal liability in nursing practice?
- What does the term Standard of Care mean in nursing? Why is this so important?
- Define malpractice and the term professional negligence (the 5 criteria needed to fulfill this definition)….provide examples of each criteria to deepen your understanding
- What does the term “under ordinary circumstances” means as it relates to professional negligence?
- Define these legal terms that are pertinent to nursing practice—be sure you can relate these term to nursing practice
- Stare decisis
- respondeat superior
- vicarious liability
- product liability
- res ipsa loquitur
- Define intentional torts and give as many examples as you can related to nursing practice
- What are some common reasons nurses are sued (claims filed against them)
- BON—Board of Nursing—what is their responsibility to the public?
- Define the Nurse Practice Act and its role in your ability to practice nursing?
- Define, compare and contrast the three forms of consent:
- Informed consent
- Implied consent
- Express consent
- What is HIPAA and what is its importance to healthcare/your nursing practice?
- What are the parameters of Good Samaritan Immunity?
- Describe the Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA) of 1991 and how it changed healthcare
- List the common causes of nursing license revocation