In October 2017, President Donald J. Trump declared the opioid crisis a nationwide public health emergency. The public health nurse is unique in leading, developing, and implementing programs to address this crisis. For this presentation, the learner will:
- Examine the significance of the opioid crisis in the learner’s home state.
- Analyze and discuss the different approaches that the state uses to address this public health emergency. Some examples of public health emergencies are addiction prevention education, medication disposal programs, naloxone distribution programs, needle exchange programs, mental health, addiction services, partnerships among health and law enforcement agencies.
- Identify or create a program that you feel would benefit the local community.
- Present an overview of the program and be sure to include the following:
- identify the goal of the program,
- provide objectives for the program,
- describe the planned interventions,
- identify the community stakeholders who should be a part of the planning process,
- discuss how the program will be monitored and evaluated,
- identify potential challenges and methods for engaging the community and
- discuss budget needs to launch the program.
- Discuss the role of the public health nurse as a community advocate, leader, and change agent.
Length: PowerPoint 20-25 slides. The analysis must thoroughly address the questions in a clear, concise manner.
Structure: Include a title, page, and reference page in APA style. These do not count towards the minimum word count for this assignment.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Include at least six (6) scholarly sources to support your claims, one for each
of the six questions.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).
Filename: Name your saved file according to your first initial, last name, and the assignment number (for example, “RHall Assignment