- The conversion of solar energy into chemical energy occurs during ____.
- Which base(s) pair(s) with cytosine?
|e.||cytosine and thymine|
- When chlorophyll absorbs light energy, ____.
|a.||chlorophyll is converted to carotene|
|b.||the molecules begin to move more rapidly|
|c.||the plant becomes radioactive|
|d.||electrons jump to a higher energy level|
|e.||the molecules become ionized|
- Each DNA strand has a backbone that consists of alternating _____.
|d.||sugar and phosphate molecules|
|e.||types of sugars|
- Which process is responsible for the conversion of DNA information into messenger RNA?
- During aerobic respiration, the electron acceptor at the end of the electron transfer chain is ____.
- Enzymes speed up a chemical reaction by ____.
|a.||lowering the activation energy|
|b.||lowering the optimal pH|
|c.||increasing the reaction temperature|
|d.||increasing the energy in the system|
|e.||increasing the activation energy|
- Pigments are ____.
|a.||inorganic molecules that absorb all light|
|b.||organic molecules that absorb all light|
|c.||inorganic molecules that absorb specific wavelengths of light|
|d.||organic molecules that absorb specific wavelengths of light|
|e.||inorganic molecules that reflect specific wavelengths of light|
- Which two atoms are found in all organic compounds?
|a.||carbon and hydrogen|
|b.||carbon and oxygen|
|c.||oxygen and hydrogen|
|d.||carbon and phosphorous|
|e.||oxygen and sulfur|
- Meiosis produces _____.
|d.||sperm and egg cells|
|e.||sperm, egg, and body cells|
- Which bond is weakest?
- Which property of water molecules is responsible for movement of water from roots to leaves in a plant?
- A(n) ____ is a protein monomer.
- A ribosome contains _____.
|d.||RNA and proteins|
|e.||RNA, DNA, and proteins|
- In a given strand of DNA, complementary bases are connected to each other by _____.
|b.||polar covalent bonds|
|e.||nonpolar covalent bonds|
- The products of light-dependent reactions of photosynthesis are ____.
|a.||used in light-independent reactions|
|b.||complex carbohydrates and proteins|
|c.||stored in the vacuoles of the cell|
|d.||oxygen and glucose|
|e.||used in the light-independent reactions and stored in the vacuoles of the cell|
- A parent cell with 12 chromosomes will produce daughter cells with _____ chromosomes by mitosis.
- After meiosis, resulting daughter cells will contain _____.
|a.||the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell|
|b.||half the number of chromosomes than the parent cell carries|
|c.||twice the number of chromosomes than the parent cell carries|
|d.||three times the number of chromosomes than the parent cell carries|
|e.||four times the number of chromosomes than the parent cell carries|
- All organisms fit into one of two categories: ____ and ____.
|a.||consumers and decomposers|
|b.||producers and decomposers|
|c.||producers and consumers|
|d.||scavengers and detritivores|
|e.||consumers and scavengers|
- Glycolysis converts glucose into ____.
|d.||electrons and protons|