Assignment 1 — The Social Impact of Population Growth (110 points)
The United Nations has hired you to be a consultant on global issues. One of the challenges is assessing the impact of population growth. There is no question that the world population will grow dramatically in the next decade throughout many countries of the world. The members of the UN are working to understand the impact that population growth has on society, specifically in developing countries. Your first project with the UN is to develop a white paper (a synonym for analysis that is used mostly by diplomats) on three issues related to the population growth faced by one of these countries. Read the brief assessment below and provide an analysis based on the three questions below.
The world’s population is expanding at such a rate that some natural resources are being stripped from the environment. This case study deals with how global institutions are working to prevent the loss of these resources, and in effect the consequences of not having access to them.
As the first section of your white paper for the UN, research the impact of population growth on society. Write a minimum of four pages assessing this impact, citing at least five credible sources in your research. As you compose the whitepaper, review the United Nations list of developing countries (available on the United Nations website). Select one country from the UN developing countries list to use as an example throughout your assessment and please include:
- A cover page with your name, title of course, date, and the name of your instructor.
- A one-half page introduction.
- A middle section that is numbered and divided into three one-page sections that answers one of the following questions:
- What are greenhouse gases? How do they contribute to global warming?
- What kinds of economic, security, political, and other challenges do these emissions pose to the people of the developing world, and who are the biggest offenders?
- Is there any way to control the growth of population on a global level?
- A one-half page conclusion.
- This makes a total of at least four pages for the assignment.
- Cite a minimum of five credible sources excluding Wikipedia, dictionaries and encyclopedias for your assessment.
- For a brief list of resources for this assignment, please see the end of the course guide.
This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS)
. The format is different compared to other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. (Note: You’ll be prompted to enter your Blackboard login credentials to view these standards.) In addition, this YouTube link will give you several short videos about the Standards.