Due on: Wednesday, August 18 @ 2359 Purpose: This paper is a culmination of all activities and concepts covered in this class. In randomly assigned groups, you will summarize and appraise an assigned quantitative study to determine its potential usefulness to inform nursing practice. As part of this analysis, you will determine the rigor of the investigation and appraise credibility. You can do this by answering some key questions about the integrity with which they collected and analyzed data and employed techniques to reduce bias.
Assessment: This assignment is worth 178 points, comprising 25% of your final course grade. It is graded according to the embedded rubric. All members of the group will receive the same grade.
Instructions: A sample paper is attached to show you good example of a completed paper.
Introduction: Research the importance of the topic and write an introduction that includes these main points.
· Obtain relevant background information from a credible source other than the article
· Explain why the topic is important for researchers to explore
Synopsis: Write a study synopsis that includes these main points.
· what known and not known about the topic and what gap in knowledge this study intends to fill
· research design and setting
· sampling method
· number of subjects
· inclusion/exclusion criteria
· attrition, loss to follow up, or response rate (if any)
· important characteristics of the sample
· how the study was conducted
· how the intervention was carried out
· include measurement instruments and what they measured
· how the data was collected
Appraisal: Appraise the article in narrative format by answering the following questions.
· What are the strengths and weaknesses of the sampling method, as applied to this study? Analyze the following and give a rationale for your claims.
· Inclusion/exclusion criteria to control for extraneous variables
· Sample representativeness of the population
· Sample size adequacy
· Decreases in sample size and researchers’ explanation
· Was treatment fidelity ensured? Why or why not?
· Were the measurement instruments reliable and valid? Why or why not?
· Were the conclusions of the study supported by the results? Why or why not?
· Include key statistical results and p-values as part of your rationale.
Conclusion: Write a conclusion that gives your analysis of the nursing implications based on the findings of the study.
· Were the results statistically significant, if reported?
· What is the clinical significance of the findings?
· What are the risks vs. benefits to practice of the findings?
· Are the findings feasible to implement?
Your paper must be in proper APA format, including a title page and reference page.
Submit your article in pdf format and paper in Word format with the following filenames.
· Lastnames article
· Lastnames paper