Topic Selection Part 1 Assignment
After viewing this week’s presentations and readings, identify one “researchable” idea of interest to you. In order to do this, you will research your idea using the Jerry Falwell Library search options. Follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Jerry Falwell Library homepage, and search your topic of interest by simply typing in the topic in the search bar (example: mindfulness interventions used in childhood).
- After searching you will find several different resources available to you (e.g. ebooks, book, articles).
- Click on “see all article results” under the Articles tab.
- Filter to only read articles within the last 5 years (you can find this option on the left hand of the screen).
- After reading through the articles, you will identify the gap statements found in the discussion or limitations section of the article.
For example, one peer-reviewed article on your topic of interest may state, “However, these results should be interpreted with caution due to the small sample size and the lack of a control group… Future research should include a larger sample of adolescents from more diverse sociocultural groups” (Deplus et al., 2016, p. 787). This particular example is stating that future researchers should utilize this study’s design, but to expand the population studied.
- Write down three gap statements found in your searches, identifying areas that have not yet been researched. Keep in mind a gap statement is a statement that identifies an area that the authors DID NOT cover in their study. Meaning, you will not be repeating the study that article conducted, but rather, you will build off of it, “filling in the gap” that the authors did not cover or what the authors suggest for future research.
For example, a study’s authors may have looked at mindfulness as an intervention with adolescents, but the authors suggest replicating the study with a specific ethnicity in order to build off their findings. Building off the literature and “filling in the gaps” can create important implications for the counseling field.
- Put together a bibliography in current APA format, giving a brief summary of the article’s content and how it relates to the topic selection. This should not be more than 1-2 sentences (a sample will be provided).
Note: In identifying a topic, please note that your professor will give you feedback on narrowing your topic and ensuring ethical practices are adhered to. You will need to heed all feedback for Topic Selection Part 2.
This assignment will be submitted via Blackboard and LiveText.
This assignment is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 1.