What decisions can you make RIGHT NOW to achieve your career goals?
This week we are focused on decision-making! Going to college can be one of the most profound decisions that someone can make in their life. There are all kinds of reasons to earn a college degree, but most are trying to gain skills and knowledge to advance their career (College Stats, 1). For this discussion, think about what decisions you can make right now to advance your career.
- STEP 1: Read: Purcell, Maud. May 17, 2016. Demystifying decision-making. https://psychcentral.com/lib/demystifying-decision-making#1
- STEP 2: Before you begin to write your discussion post, take a moment to think about your decision to earn your college degree. What problem are you hoping to solve by earning your degree? What are some other things you can do in addition to earning your degree that can help you to also solve that problem?
- STEP 3: Respond to the discussion by:
- Share what problem you’re hoping to solve by earning your degree.
- In addition to earning your degree, identify THREE other approaches you can take in the next few months to solve that problem.
- Explain why you decided on these approaches.
- STEP 4: Use in-text citations if you paraphrased any ideas that you read about from a source.
- STEP 5: Create a source list for your discussion that documents any sources that you used for your discussion post.
- STEP 6: Respond to at least one other student’s post.
Take a look at this sample post to help you get started.
Maybe you are earning your degree at Strayer to change your career from retail to accounting.
The problem that you are working to solve is how to gain the knowledge, skills, and credentials that will allow you to get a job as an entry-level accountant.
In addition to earning your degree, three things that you can do today to help with your goal might be:
- Create a profile on LinkedIn
- Network with accounting firms in my area to find out what they look for in new hires
- Research and join a professional association for accounting
If you need help brainstorming activities, check out our Career Services through iCampus.
- College Stats. No date. Importance of college education: Why is it important to go to college. https://collegestats.org/articles/why-go-to-college/
- Purcell, Maud. May 17, 2016. Demystifying decision-making. https://psychcentral.com/lib/demystifying-decision-making#1
Watch the video below to help you get started with the discussion