I don’t understand this Health & Medical question and need help to study.
School Health Advocacy Letter
Focusing on administrative buy-in and support is the first step towards effective and sustained efforts around the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) model. Write a persuasive letter to a school district board that advocates for the WSCC model to guide school policies and practices.
To develop the following National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC) 2020 areas of responsibility and competency:
- Area V. Advocacy
- Area VI. Communication
- Area VIII: Ethics and Professionalism
To develop the following SOPHE 2019 Health Education Teacher Preparation Standards:
- Standard 6: Professionalism
- Step 2 of The WSCC Model: A Guide to Implementation. Access this handbook by clicking on the link or locating it in the D2L course folder called Resources:
- NACCD. (2017). The WSCC Model: A Guide to Implementation. https://www.ashaweb.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10…
- Your responses to the School Health Coordinator Interview.
- The ASCD report on the need for a collaborative approach. Access this report by clicking on the link or locating it in the D2L course folder called Resources.
- Association for Supervision Curriculum and Development (ASCD). (2014). WSCC: A collaborative approach to learning and health. http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/pdf/siteASCD/publications…
- The ASCD webpage about the WSCC model. Access this webpage by clicking on the link.
- Association for Supervision Curriculum and Development (ASCD). (2020). WSCC. http://www.ascd.org/programs/learning-and-health/w…
- The CDC webpage about the WSCC model. Access this webpage by clicking on the link.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2019). CDC Healthy Schools: Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/wscc/index.htm
- The ASCD WSCC model ideas handbook. Access this handbook by clicking on the link or locating it in the D2L course folder called Resources.
- The Association for Supervision Curriculum and Development (ASCD). (2016). The WSCC model: Ideas for implementation. http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/pdf/siteASCD/wholechild/W…
Step 1- Preparation
- Read Step 2 of The WSCC Model: A Guide to Implementation to understand the purpose of the letter you will write.
- Review your responses to the School Health Coordinator Interview. Review what the WSCC model is, why it is important, and why a collaborative approach to school health is needed. [Hint: Your interview response was based on the ASCD report in the Resources list above.]
- You can’t expect administrators to want to implement all WSCC model components right away. On the ASCD and CDC webpages listed in the Resources. Review the WSCC model elements. Select 4-5 elements on which you’d like to initially implement. One of them must be social and emotional climate as you will focus on that element in upcoming lessons.
- In the ASCD WSCC model ideas handbook, locate examples of each of these 4-5 elements being implemented.
Step 2 – Write the letter
Below appears the outline for your persuasive letter. Notice that it is broken into five sections. These should be your five paragraphs. Remove my directions so it looks professional! The word limit is 700-1000 words. Words beyond 1000 will not count. Use in-text citations and provide a reference list at the end using APA format.
- Introduce the WSCC model. Explain why it is important and why a collaborative approach to school health is needed. Cite from the suggested resources.
- Indicate the WSCC model is based on 10 elements, but you’d like to initially focus on (then name the 4-5 elements you selected). Explain why you selected these 4-5 elements.
- For each of your 4-5 elements, provide at least one example of that element being implemented in schools elsewhere. Cite from the suggested resources.
- Make 1-2 specific requests for administrative buy-in or support. You can find a list of these ideas in Step 2 of The WSCC Model: A Guide to Implementation (see pages 26-27 for these ideas). Explain and justify these requests.
- Close with a restatement about why the WSCC model is important and thank the board for their time and consideration.
Assignment Submission Directions
- Remove my directions. Your work should look professional.
- Include your name at the top.
- Use Arial, Time New Roman, or a similar font style; use 10, 11, or 12-point font
- Double or single-spaced is fine.
- Cite all sources using APA format. Not sure how to do that?
- Save your file as a .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf. Other formats cannot be opened in D2L.
- Submit to the appropriate D2L Assignments folder. Emailed assignments are not accepted.